Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Old Mariner

He sat bent upon the sturdy rocking chair which now supported his frail body, grey eyes staring ahead into a bleak old age. Light tufts of wind and sunlight danced across his withered face, forcing remnants of his once thick hair to float in the breeze. The familiar scent of salt wafted from the ocean, filling his nostrils with the sweet aroma, though his senses had become dulled with the passing of time. Waves crashed upon the shore and though the old man had heard the sound a thousand times before, his mind echoed in remembrance of it, come back to me, come back, the sea seemed to call. Presently, he glanced up, lifting a gnarled hand for his crooked cane. He carefully stood up, his back never becoming completely straight. Wearily, his feet crossed the porch to stand near the railing, which he had constructed himself, along with the rest of the house. Looking to the west, his eyes met the sunset, glowing brilliantly against the cloud glazed sky, slowly melting into the horizon. Red, pink and orange became one, creating a completely unprecedented color, blinding all who dared gaze upon it. Seagulls called in the distance, beckoning the old man toward the shore, begging him to once more visit it's long forgotten sands...

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing. Val is a member of my yahoo group and thought we'd be interested in your writing, she's right. You have a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow young lady! What an awesome example you are setting for my 8 yr old daughter! Thank You, Thank You, Thank You. She is home schooled and also a varatious reader keep up the good work and we will be watching your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...Shannyn your writing is great...I can see each scene in my minds eye while reading your story...I do believe that is the true aim of a writer isn't it? I wanted to draw pictures of the people and places in your writing...I could see the bones sticking up out of the ground and the fear in Oliver and Til's eyes...oh and of course the white cat...you are so talented...why don't you join our Artistic Avantgarde Ning web network? Ask your aunt Val about it...we have artist of all kinds there, musicians, writers and illustrators...you might meet some new artists and have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to thank all of my followers, as few as they are. Hopefully I can gain more support soon. I realize I haven't posted a piece in nearly a year, and wish I had been more faithful to it. It's been a busy year, but I've caught the writing bug again:) Thankfully, I'm writing more than ever. Thank you all again so much for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete